Now that the landscaping season is beginning to wind down, it’s time to reflect on the first six months of Adventurous Worker and decide on which direction I want to take it in 2019.
It’s been a fantastic start so far! I quit my job at the start of June, thinking that I would offer my services as a cleaner, landscaper, writer and photographer. In the six months that I’ve been in business, I have met so many different people and have been blessed with amazing clients. I have also decided to narrow my services down to landscaping and copy writing.
In 2019, I really want to focus more on building and upgrading garden beds — which includes plant installs — as well as designing gardens or, if customers have a particular design in mind, bringing their ideas to life. Taking on bigger projects means I will need hired help, but part of my mission for Adventurous Worker is to provide good employment for individuals who share the same passion for landscaping as I do.
Another mission of Adventurous Worker is to focus on one client at a time so that we can provide high quality work that exceeds clients’ expectations.
So, where does copy writing fit into this scheme? The copy writing branch of Adventurous Worker — which is called Off Season Writing — is a side business that I intend to fulfill between projects during the landscaping season and also during the winter months.
Now that I know what I want for the future of Adventurous Worker, I need to address the type of work I don’t want to do.
Services I will not offer:
- Weeding driveways and along driveways (exception for existing clients)
- Weeding garden beds that are already well maintained (exception for jobs that require more than 5 hours of my time)
- Raking and blowing leaves
- Gardening that requires less than 5 hours of my time (Exception for existing clients)
- Pruning hedges and large trees that require a ladder
- Lawn care (Exception for existing clients and select others)
- Planting full sized trees
Services I won’t offer right now but may in the future:
- Lawn Installation
- Landscape construction that involves building patios and other wooden structures
Although, I have built steps into a slope for one client and also plan to work more with stone and concrete pavers.